Major Accident News PDF Print E-mail

August 17, 2013

Highway 1 East of Revelstoke closed for approximately 7 hours due to serious crash.

"REVELSTOKE — RCMP continue to investigate a serious crash on the Trans Canada Highway east of Rogers Pass Summit.

Two pickup trucks collided head-on Saturday forcing the highway to close for multiple hours.

Three people, all from the Calgary area, were taken to hospital in serious condition. Two victims were transported to hospital in Calgary and the third sent to Kelowna General Hospital.

Police say one of the trucks lost control and crossed the centre line."


- from


Dec 5, 2011

8 Ferraris, Lamborghini smashed in Japan crash

Crash in Japan

Police officers investigate wrecked luxury cars at the site of a traffic accident on the Chugoku Expressway in 
Shimonoseki, southwestern Japan. (Kyodo/Reuters)

"An outing of luxury sports car enthusiasts in Japan ended in an expensive freeway pileup — smashing a stunning eight Ferraris, a Lamborghini and two Mercedes likely worth more than $1 million together.  Police say they believe the collision Sunday was touched off when the driver of one of the Ferraris tried to change lanes and hit the median barrier. He spun across the freeway and the other cars collided while trying to avoid hitting his car.

Video of the crash aired by NTV, a major national network, showed several smashed, bright red Ferraris cluttering the freeway.  Even a used Ferrari in Japan can fetch $100,000 or more, meaning the total damage may exceed $1 million.  Police declined to comment on the total amount of damage, but said some of the vehicles were beyond repair.

NTV quoted the driver of one of the tow trucks brought in to clear the scene as saying it was the most expensive crash site he had ever seen.

No one was seriously injured, but police in Yamaguchi prefecture said 10 people were treated for bruises and cuts. Police say 14 cars were involved altogether.

The luxury cars were being driven by a group of automobile enthusiasts on their way to nearby Hiroshima."


© The Associated Press, 2011                                                                                                                    - from




August 20, 2011

Speed caused fatal crash involving police car, experts say

Former Memphis officer charged with vehicular homicide in 2009 death.

"Two accident reconstruction experts testified Friday that a police officer's 'excessive speed' was the cause of a fatal crash in 2009 in Frayser that killed a woman and critically injured her teenage passenger.

Jurors in the vehicular homicide case against former officer Mark Weatherly also viewed computerized animations that depicted the crash that killed motorist Stephanie Montague, 40, and injured her passenger, Tiffany McGhee, 17.

Weatherly was driving at speeds of up to 101 mph moments before his 2008 Dodge Charger police cruiser, whi was northbound on a hilly section of Range Line Road, struck the left front side of Montague's westbound Nissan Altima as she pulled from a stop sign on Orman Avenue.

Weatherly was heading back to his North Precinct at the end of this shift.

Tennessee Highway Patrol Sgt. Andy Shelton and private accident reconstructionist Daniel Billington of Crashteams GREAT LAKES in Bay City, Mich., told jurors Weatherly's speed was the primary cause of the crash.

'It's not possible for her to see him coming' over the hilly stretch of Range Line, said Shelton.  'He clearly could have seen her if he was going the speed limit.'

The speed limit on Range Line is 40 mph.

Defense attorney Ted Hansom noted in questioning the experts that the data-retrieval devices in the police vehicle are not monitored for accuracy by any governmental body as are black boxes in airlines.

After viewing a series of short animations of the crash viewed from different angles, each one showing the Altima stopping at the stop sign before proceeding, the attorney asked Billington what report or witness statement he relied upon in determining that the Altima did not run the stop sign.

'There isn't one,' Billington replied.

Billington determined that Montague was going about 12mph and that Weatherly was traveling at 67 mph at the time of impact.  Shelton said his calculations showed the Altima traveling at 18 mph and the police car at 67 mph.

Prosecutors Glen Baity and Doug Carricker rested their case Friday, and the defense will have an opportunity to present proof when the trial before Judge Lee Coffee resumes today."


- Lawrence Buser:



July 4, 2011

Major Accident Delays North Beach Traffic

"CORPUS CHRISTI - The northbound side of the Harbor Bridge was shut down Monday evening around 6:45pm due to a major accident.  Police say a Dodge pickup rear ended a Toyota pickup that was slowing down as it was coming into the North Beach area, and that caused the Toyota to roll over.

Two people in the Toyota were taken to the hospital, including a woman believed to be about two months pregnant, but none of the injuries were serious.

Everyone in both cars was buckled up, and police said that likely prevented any major injuries.

The driver of the Dodge was ticketed for failure to control speed.  The bridge was reopened about an hour later."




- from




June 5, 2011

Major Accident in Texas Closed US 59 Sunday Afternoon

"A major accident late Sunday afternoon closed US 59 southbound for almost an hour.  The crash happened between SH 242 and Roman Forest Blvd.  A 26 year-old female was southbound in the center lane driving a 1991 Chevrolet S-10 pickup.  She changed from the center lane to the right lane.  At the same time a Dodge 3500 was southbound in that lane at a high rate of speed and slammed into the rear of the pickup pushing it across the freeway toward a concrete barrier.

New Caney Fire Department responded to assist removing the S-10 driver who was unable to open her door.  She was transported by MCHD to Hermann Hospital in the Woodlands in stable condition.

Woodbranch police worked the accident with the assistance of Patton Village and Splendora.

The driver of the Dodge pickup was uninjured."





June 1, 2011

Labrador Man Dead in Car Accident

"A man from the southern Labrador community of L'Anse au Loup is dead after a car accident Tuesday evening.

The man, 24, was driving with two other people near the Blanc Sablon airport in Quebec shortly before 6 p.m. when the accident happened.

The vehicle rolled over several times and all three people were ejected.

Police said no one in the car was wearing a seatbelt.

The driver was declared dead at the scene. The other two — also in their early 20s — were flown to St. John's with serious injuries.

Police are still determining the cause of the accident. They believe excessive speed may have been a contributing factor."


Tanker truck pins car in major Brossard accident

"A multi-vehicle accident on Montreal's south shore Friday could have been much worse, say police.

The accident happened just before 8:30 a.m. on Highway 132 near the exit to Highway 10 in Brossard.

Quebec provincial police said a large tanker truck carrying cement powder lost control after being cut off by a car.

The truck struck five cars, coming to rest partially on top of one, pinning its driver inside.

Emergency crews used the Jaws of Life to free the man around 9:30 a.m.

He was conscious and able to speak, said police."